Thread: Wheel maintenance

Wheel maintenance

As most ppl should already know, rotating your wheels every so often, allows you to get the most out of them as they slowly disintegrate down the road. Generally speaking most riders will experience some level of uneven wear on their wheels as time goes on. It's recommended to diagonally swap your wheels ocasionaly to best counteract any uneven wear.

The nyloc nuts that hold your wheels on can take a beating as you take wheels on and off all the time. They are only really designed to be tightened up once and if they have been on and off your trucks a few times they tend to become really loose. This means you begin to run the risk of losing a wheel mid-run. Which would really fucking hurt..

A little trick i use to tighten up worn out nyloc nuts is to lightly hit the nylon outer of the nut with a jet lighter flame. You need to heat it enough so it starts to melt and deform slightly (almost bubbles?), but not fully burn off. Once the nylon cools back down it will now be a slightly different shape and will grab the thread on your truck alot tighter.

Not something i would reccommend doing over and over again. Also if you have spacers this pay not be so important. It does come in handy and could save you some serious pain!

;)

Re: Wheel maintenance

why not just buy a new nut?:P

Quote Originally Posted by "Bombcanberra" post=9351

Not something i would reccommend doing over and over again. Also if you have spacers this pay not be so important. It does come in handy and could save you some serious pain!

;)
    Of course you should. Replace everything that wears out as you go.

I have had nuts come off mid run twice. I have had a few axles that the threads are loose even with new nuts. If you put a second nut on and tighten it to the first nut, it will not come off for anything. You can also use this trick if you can not make it to bord store, but you have old nuts.

Blue loctite good nuts bad nuts old nuts