Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels and wheel options

Noob

Wheels and wheel options

Hi guys!

New to the forums here but hoping someone can give me some good advice. I'm actually a LEIFTECH rider, if you don't know what that is its basically a motorized freebord that uses the same inherent principles of having 360 caster wheels in the center except the casters have belted motors on it. I've been riding for a couple months and the better I've gotten the more desire for rocker I've felt myself wanting. The base board comes with 76mm wheels but I'm thinking I want to move down quite a bit in size so I can shred some bigger turns and was hoping some people could give me some wheel advice. I've obviously looked at the Freebord and Entitlement Urethane wheels and asked some questions of freebord on them but was also wondering about third party companies like Abec 11 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them, or any other companies and could give suggestions on what they like and why, even including LED wheels if people have experience with them. The Abec 11 site seems to have a lot of "freeriding" wheels but I can only assume they're talking more about longboards than freebords and I'm wondering if anyone can speak for them. I'm looking for something that will continue to give me good slides and though the idea of LED wheels to make my ride look cooler sounds fun, I can only assume in a performance sense that they will strongly underperform in comparison to other companies that have been engineered for slides and ultimately performance is most important to me. SO.... what can you guys tell me about wheels that are below the 70mm mark, why you use them, what you love about them, and if anyone can speak for some of the ABEC 11 wheels or any other companies I don't know of please do tell. Thanks

Imo
    smaller wheels/more rocker won't really increase turn size, on a freebord a bigger/steeper faster hill to work with will.
    (Losing momemtum scrubbing) i cant make the same turns in a parking garage as a hill with downgrade% warning signs

its cool those little motors can propel you, but im sure they can't push a fully applied edge for a "SICK BRO" hoppe slide turn.

Had a couple sets of abecs "gumball" given to me by longboard buddies, but Uselessly flat spotted in a day or two

Freebord's "da blues" are good wheels, But id just go with any offset wheels(center sets are noisy, sometimes fitment issues) that are ~86a hardness and higher

LED wheels remind me of those sneakers you wanted when you were six......

anywho, leiftechs pretty novel, id ride one to the hills to ride my freebord..... Actually no i wouldn't, my dog pulls me there

Last edited by skiskask8; 02-28-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

Noob
    @skiskask8 I'm from Colorado but I live in NYC and bought this as my commuter vehicle because I figured if I'm going to buy a vehicle to get places I may as well be able to snowboard the streets. I actually didn't know about freebording until after I bought this, now I'm trying to work up my skills on this so I'd feel confident coming back to Colorado and bombing a hill on a freebord. On this board you tend to need smaller wheels to take wider turns because the wheels do not have that same total free movement in them as a freebord. When you ride this you tend to have to use your acceleration on the controller a bit to do spins because you're fighting the mechanical resistance built up by the 360 belted casters, so more rocker affords you more turning capability with this. Da Blues are a bit too big for my board and would cut my rocker even more since I believe they're 77mm's? Anyone know about the Abec 11 polka dots and if they're any good?

sweet, jersey myself, 13 yrs here and aint looking back :)

i think i get what your saying, having a bigger rocker to give you a bigger, well, lets say flotation point to turn on the casters. ie: the edge isn't set yet? but freebording we don't power the casters to turn the bord so its tricky to write :P

that said, wheels are wheels, made from polyurethane, some are harder then others so id look for hardness (77a,80a,84a,86a..., sergio's abec11 are at 100a! slide like crazy but hhhhaaarrrdd) leiftechs probably barely pressure the edge and rarely do loooonnnnggg heelside/toeslide slides that'd wear the wheel so soft(lower number) would be cushy and feel nicer. you'll want "sideset" or at least "offset" (bearings location).

other then that they are different shapes and different colors.
    Last edited by skiskask8; 02-28-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Entitlement Urethane Tenderloins are 70mm. You know that a designed-for-Freebord wheel will give you good performance - any wheel can work and SSS8's durometer (sp?) recommendations are good. Wheels will get smaller with use...

Noob
    Got any opinions on the entitlement urethane Marina's versus the Tenderloins?

Good choice, those guys are dedicated to the sport. the marinas Will make more rocker because of being offset mount. Even with similar diameter/widths of the wheels, the sideset(where the bearings are) of the tenderloins makes an overall wider footprint after mounting them to trucks. I do not know what "formula" means(resitance to flatspotting? Not a worry in your case anyway) but they have equivalent durometers/hardness so should feel the same on rough spots.

I love the buttery slide of the Haight Privilege - haven't tried their other wheels.

Whoa - you are rocking my world... Different rocker from side vs center set wheels. Don't doubt it but I'm gonna check the geometry on that one.

Somewhat related though probably not an option for Lunasi... And I've posted this before but maybe not here... You know you get more rocker when you add rocker! Meaning more edge wheel clearance when the deck has reverse camber. It is more pronounced for the front truck since the center wheel is further from the edges. Let me find my diagram...

...here it is:

Danggit now im questioning it but i could swear i felt it(center set vs sideset)
    where the narrower centerset has a greater distance to travel(angling down) before touch down then a wider sideset's footprint (looking at extremes)
    0---0
    ________

vs

0-----0

.......your diagram is wayyy better

Oooh btw, i rode center sets in san fran, and theySCREAMED, literally NOISY on slides. People were sayin got the wrong brand wheels. I think it was the setup, centers wouldn't "load" the truck, on slides, evenly and give somewhere for the wheel to rattle, where sidesets
    are happy as the whole wheel is getting "pulled off of the truck" on slides

C....I..] Wheel sidecut
    wall. Bearing. Wall

C......I.l side set
    <---- drag

C...I....| center set
    <----drag

Stuck the same wheel sidestepped when i got home, noise gone