Thread: Binding Placement

Binding Placement

So I was searching thru the forum and couldn't find anything that I was looking for.

Does anyone notice or feel a difference when you ride with your bindings over the edge wheels compared to - stock or compared to - riding with your feet over the casters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is a difference, idk how to describe it though, i did redrill an old bord i pulled out of the bin to the newer setting i got used to, they used to be right over, so, from being right over the caster center of rotation(not just where the caster wheel sits when "pulled back") to being between the center of rotation and edge wheels.
    i think this new or "stock" setting is better, keep it.
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

Binding Placement

I didn't wanna drill new holes in my current deck, but I've experimented on an old deck with placing the feet right over the edge wheels and the casters seemed less active and I had more edge bite. I'd imagine riding over the centers would be less grippy of a ride? I wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to move them inwards

Hi guys, I have experimented a bit with this, and I'd like to comment on it... I drilled some holes, moving the bindings a bit closer to the center of the deck (I mean, just 1.5cm each, so 3cm narrower stance, not much). With this set up I started learning to swing my back leg to have a smooth transition between toe and heel. Before I had this mechanical motion: 1. stand on my toes. 2. push to slide. 3. Switch to heel. 4. Push to slide, etc... Now I'm swinging (or try to) my back leg so it feels smoother (more snowboarding-like). I was learning this with the bindings a bit more on the casters... Two days ago, I decided to move the bindings back to their original position, right on the edge wheels. Because I'm putting most of the weight on the front leg, I found easier to swing the back leg. I'm almost lifting up the back side of the bord when I do so.

That's just my experience. Still not sure which set up is best, since I feel I better when the stance is narrower (better balance), but like I said, I find the back leg swinging easier when the bindings are more on the tip of the deck (but wider stance).

maybe if your physically lifting edge to edge, having the bindings over the edge wheels
    but floating edge to edge, easier with the bindings over the casters? idk, i got used to the new setting, but the lady likes the ol' fat alpha(which i violated with some bindings) and i put em more over the caster, the new bord she found a little harder and twitchy
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

Binding Placement

Thanks for your replies dudes.
    I've been experimenting with binding placement as well on an old scrap deck I found. I've pretty much solidified my thought.

When I was riding with the middle of my foot over the edge wheels, the ride was much grippier and seemed to activate the edge wheels more, I felt I had to kick out to slide.

When I rode with my feet close to the casters, I hated the narrow stance, I should have moved the trucks further to the tip and tail. But the ride was much smoother on transitions as jscriptcoder was saying, sliding took way less effort.
    I guess if you look at snowboarding, your main contact points on the active edge lay outside of your feet. So to me it would make sense that riding not over the casters, but closer to them will give you more of a snowboardy feel, but then it also comes down to rocker settings. Probably comes into play somehow.

Binding Placement

Quote Originally Posted by skiskask8 View Post
    maybe if your physically lifting edge to edge, having the bindings over the edge wheels
    but floating edge to edge, easier with the bindings over the casters? idk, i got used to the new setting, but the lady likes the ol' fat alpha(which i violated with some bindings) and i put em more over the caster, the new bord she found a little harder and twitchy
    I could see what she's talking about with it being twitchier with a wider stance, after riding with my feet closer to center.