Thread: Bearing Spacers

Bearing Spacers

I started using bearing spacers pretty much right away when i got my first FB....mostly because the added ability to tighten my wheel nut all the way, reducing all free play in the wheel. Not only is the sound of the bord (especially on rough pavement) better, but the whole set up feels and rides more solid, IMO.

HOWEVER, there is something I have just accepted and experienced as true, but never been able to wrap my head around.....Why cant you tighten a wheel down without wheel spacers, and still have it spin freely!? It just doesn't make sense. (to me) I'm hoping someone will respond and make me feel foolish, as I assume the explanation is obvious and simple..

The bearings spin around the inner race...the nut and the end of the hangar, with speed washers, push on the inner race (s)....why does tightening the nut (without a spacer) cause the bearing to be unable to spin?

I really am guessing it is simple, but for some reason I have impenetrable mental block on this. =/

Do you use spacers or not?.. Why or why not?
    Last edited by flisms; 05-12-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Without spacers you will side load each bearing causing too much friction and it will grove out the races and could warp the balls from the heat that can build up. I made some spacers out of aluminum this past fall and they are too soft and starting to squish my bearings just a Lil bit. Bummer cause the bord was very quiet till the spacers got too narrow. I'm using amphetamine speed bearings with 8 inner balls and nylon cages they roll very nice and we're cheep on amazon for a set of 16

Quote Originally Posted by flisms View Post
    I started using bearing spacers pretty much right away when i got my first FB....mostly because the added ability to tighten my wheel nut all the way, reducing all free play in the wheel. Not only is the sound of the bord (especially on rough pavement) better, but the whole set up feels and rides more solid, IMO.

HOWEVER, there is something I have just accepted and experienced as true, but never been able to wrap my head around.....Why cant you tighten a wheel down without wheel spacers, and still have it spin freely!? It just doesn't make sense. (to me) I'm hoping someone will respond and make me feel foolish, as I assume the explanation is obvious and simple..

The bearings spin around the inner race...the nut and the end of the hangar, with speed washers, push on the inner race (s)....why does tightening the nut (without a spacer) cause the bearing to be unable to spin?

I really am guessing it is simple, but for some reason I have impenetrable mental block on this. =/

Do you use spacers or not?.. Why or why not?
    I started off with spacers. After a while, when I was going thru wheels every month, I got rid of the spacers. I am back to using them because I lost a couple of wheels while riding. I like the feel with spacers much better.
    I think that the wheel flex from inner to outer bearing causes the bearing to bind up without spacers.