Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good helmet

Gooner

Good helmet

Hey guys,

Going to get a new helmet soon. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for in a helmet for freebording?
    What kind of helmet do you guys have? Are there specific helmets that are better for freebording than skating for example, because of the higher speeds?

Been Around The Block Shaunostar's Avatar
    You need to get yourself a single crack helmet (If you crack it, it has done it's job!!Buy new one)....Full hard thick foam inset, opposed to a multi crack Helmet (Safe for park...that's it).....thin spongy foam inset. Due to the likelyhood of catching a back edge @ speed with freebording, you really do need to protect ya noggin......https://longboardguide.wordpress.com/safety-gear/ Triple 8 are top notch....
    I'd rather be BORDing...........

Triple 8 is my favorite brand because of how comfortable they are, it doesn't feel like your wearing a helmet. But right now I'm wearing a retro pro-tec helmet that i also like a lot.

There is also a sticky thread on helmets in the General forum with a lot of info/recommendations...

http://community.freebord.com/forum/...I-be-riding-in

I swear by this helmet and not just because Freebord sells it. It's legit and was made to protect your dome while moving and it's comfy af! Badass because it protects against injury caused by rotational acceleration.

http://store.freebord.com/triple-8-g...met-with-mips/

"Only hardcore people ride Freebords, baby."

Good helmet

Quote Originally Posted by FreeboarderNL View Post
    Hey guys,

Going to get a new helmet soon. Can someone tell me what I should be looking for in a helmet for freebording?
    What kind of helmet do you guys have? Are there specific helmets that are better for freebording than skating for example, because of the higher speeds?
    Lovvvvvveeeeee my s-one bighead if ya got an oversized dome

Gooner
    I went for the Triple8 Brainsaver. I bought it 2 days ago and yesterday it already saved me a trip to the hospital :)
    Caught my heel edge while going toeside and had a nasty slam with the back of my head into the concrete. Would definitely have been a day wrecking fall.
    In my case it's probably helmet on = no fucks given, helmet off = pussy mode :) If I don't wear a helmet, I won't need one. When I do, I definitely will need it XD

Quote Originally Posted by FreeboarderNL View Post
    I went for the Triple8 Brainsaver. I bought it 2 days ago and yesterday it already saved me a trip to the hospital :)
    Caught my heel edge while going toeside and had a nasty slam with the back of my head into the concrete. Would definitely have been a day wrecking fall.

In my case it's probably helmet on = no fucks given, helmet off = pussy mode :) If I don't wear a helmet, I won't need one. When I do, I definitely will need it XD
    Good to hear it saved you! Is it the CPSC brainsaver? Just a heads up the CPSC (Hard foam) helmets are the safest but when it takes a substantial fall/hit, it's recommended to get a new helmet as the integrity of the helmet has been compromised. It just will not hold up or protect your brain like it would if it hadn't taken a hit/fall.
    "Only hardcore people ride Freebords, baby."

Gooner
    I know Stevie-B. Thanks for sharing the info though. Already went back to the store, they checked it but apparently I got really lucky. No damages to the foam or outer helmet so it should still be fine to ride in. Safest is to replace after every substantial fall, but as I'm a student with no money that is not really an option :( There is nothing that a freebord fall will do to my brain, that my study isn't already doing to it 100 times worse XD

Gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by b-dubz View Post
    Haha, my med school friends/ppl in their residency would cringe to hear you say that... They just got done lecturing me about how the leading cause of death for 20 yr olds is trauma...
    Haha, What a coincidence! The leading cause of death for average know it all med school friends is blunt force trauma as well :P Only not by falling...
    Last edited by Corey; 05-12-2016 at 04:44 PM.