Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeboarding in the Skatepark

Gooner

Freeboarding in the Skatepark

Hey everyone,

let me first of all start off by saying that I'm new to freeboarding. Bought one after I was instantly hooked to snowboarding after my first wintersport a few weeks ago
    Unfortunately there are not a lot of hills (like no real hills at all) in the Netherlands. That is why I'm usually taking my freeboard to the skatepark.
    Does anyone else ride their freeboard at the skatepark, and do you guys have tips for the board setup or on dropping into a quarter/half pipe?

Sup sup!

Unfortunately I gotta say, Skatepark riding is darn tough to start off freebording with. Curved ramps are not so friendly to our trucks, its hard to describe, Yes, it is possible but tough. Coming up to one you gotta nail the ramp straight on, hop, and 180 back down. To drop in, start 50-50 on the coping and hop down into the ramp.

I'd suggest trying both, dropping in and riding up/down, on the flat ramps first.

Either way, ramps are tough to deal with because of the space between the inside casters and the outside "edge" wheels. get on your hands and knees and push the bord, with your hands, up the ramps and notice how, depending on the steepness/attack angle of the ramp, the two front edge wheels will touch the ramp as you approach(& the two back edges the ground), this is fine if your going straight.... not so much in a slide.... going over a roller? now its just the two inside wheels touching the roller and no edges, again maybe fine straight...... not at all in a slide :P

notice alot of skatepark freebord tricks are one hit wonders, you won't see anyone pumping bowls for a half hour like you can on a regular skate deck.

the snowboard terrain park would be useless were it flat.

that said, you gotta have some multilevel parking garages to play in yea?
    Last edited by skiskask8; 04-13-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

Been Around The Block Shaunostar's Avatar
    notice alot of skatepark freebord tricks are one hit wonders, you won't see anyone pumping bowls for a half hour like you can on a regular skate deck.
    Maybe not half an hour ^^ but given the Right bowl...... .......Oh & I agree with everything skiskask8 said, just remember Toe edge up = Backside = Toe edge down, Heel edge up = Frontside = Heel edge down.............try going up ramp with speed for halfway......when you feel like your about to stop/bite, jump/pop 180...repeat untill you get it down..........always watch the coping once you start over it.....otherwise GL
    I'd rather be BORDing...........

Gooner
    Thanks for the reactions. Can anyone tell me how durable a Freebord is in the skatepark. I've started out freeboarding at the skatepark on a Core Freeboard. Let me tell you, that stuff is really, really shitty quality. I think every part it has, has broken down on me at least once in the first 4 days of riding in the skatepark, without doing any crazy stuff with it, just smaller jumps with 180's, 360's and some stalls on the quarters. So this is what broke after 4 days:
    - Upon arrival, holes for trucks are not aligned correctly on the board and the board is a little warped (crooked).
    - Day 1 of riding, back axle with edge wheels fell off, apparently the kingpin isn't long enough to hold the trucks together.
    - Day 2 of riding, middle wheel came off, the screw that keeps it in place is starting to show some wear 'n tear.
    - Day 3 of riding, All inner edge wheel bearings are stuck to the axles, apparently the axles aren't straight enough to take off the bearings, had to take them off with a hammer...
    - Day 4 of riding, middle wheel screw broke off, no longer possible to adjust the height of one of the center wheels.

So, make sure you NEVER buy a Core freeboard. They might be half off, but it's definitely NOT worth it. Biggest mistake I made so far in 2016.

I'm definitely going for the A-brand this time around, I want to buy a real freebord somewhere in the next month. Can anyone tell me how the durability of freebord is in the skatepark, is there a big difference between maple and bamboo? And can I expect to ride longer than a week before the first stuff starts breaking down? Also how is the service from Freebord if something breaks, since i'm in the NL and all?

By the way, thanks for the explanation skiskask8 and AWESOME video Shaunostar. I will put a video online of riding in the park when I have my new freebord as well, I'm more a street/flat boarder than vert/bowl boarder though.

I'm more a street/flat boarder than vert/bowl boarder though.
    For park I'd Sugest a Bamboo, more flex. I had A botanist for a year...then handed it back to the person I borrowed it from, still not cracked!!........but Freebords don't do well on boardslides till you learn them.....I cracked a few straight up.....but otherwise g3 baseplates tended to crack a bit! I've had g3-r's for nearly a year now.....not a problem with drops, or grinds...whatever...plus easier to press....looking forward to seeing ya edit ^< we won't mention the dirty word that you used in that reply......but glad you see the light.....\m/

Gooner
    I will definitely go for the bamboo with G3-R's in that case. I got to say I love the activity on this forum. Even if it's only a few people. Any tips regarding to size? I am about 1.85 and weigh in around 70 kg (160 lbs). My shoe size is size 10 though so i don't know about wheelbite... I have a 85 Cm now but I feel like smaller might be easier to control and air with in the park? What size do you ride?

80. size 10 shoe here as well ^<

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunostar View Post
    For park I'd Sugest a Bamboo, more flex. I had A botanist for a year...then handed it back to the person I borrowed it from, still not cracked!!........but Freebords don't do well on boardslides till you learn them.....I cracked a few straight up.....but otherwise g3 baseplates tended to crack a bit! I've had g3-r's for nearly a year now.....not a problem with drops, or grinds...whatever...plus easier to press....looking forward to seeing ya edit ^< we won't mention the dirty word that you used in that reply......but glad you see the light.....\m/
    I second the bamboo for the park suggestion. Thats funny you say that because a boardslide is exactly how I broke my first bord! You summed up the durability perfectly, I can't think of anything else to add at the moment.
    Space Weather

Ride More...Worry less

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I second the bamboo for the park suggestion. Thats funny you say that because a boardslide is exactly how I broke my first bord! You summed up the durability perfectly, I can't think of anything else to add at the moment.
    Ive been trying board slides lately and i think that the technology of the decks isn't keeping up with the sport. I think that board slides are going to become a big part of the sport in the future, but the boards now can't handle them.

Cheers NL, don't worry about the life you got out of it, sounds like you were beating it :P
    Damnit shauno thats the best bowl/pipe riding I've seen, and dangggg, I had to stop the video and catch my breath.... that wore MY legs out

Had a thought about Boardslides and general park riding, its when i pull out the 75, otherwise its like boardsliding a longboard.....

kinda stopped going for the tricks with the abuse on the whole setup, but I agree^^ the bamboo 75 seems to be taking the little stuff I might pop here and there, less torque on everything
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.