Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: G3-R Review (multi part / ongoing)

I had not, but looked it up. Super dope. Someone around here had been dabbling in similar mods in the past few years. The split truck/caster is an awesome advancement in customization potential....along with wider edges. =) Looks like they have done something similar to me with the beefed up bushing washer. I look forward to following the progression of their ideas.

keep having castors break completely
    park rats :):)
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

That was easy, G3 for me.

Conclusion: The feeling of sliding on the outer edge of the edge wheel is so buttery...no honk, no vibrations, only the sound of sliding, not the loud sound of a skateboard wheel stumbling (and being forced) over the pavement. The rocker is missed, when I started it was a shocker (that rhymes with rocker), the edges were so close, almost felt like no rocker....but that has some advantages for downhill riding. I got used to it, as I have in the past. Generalized conclusion..the ability to have more rocker is good, but cautiously stated...bending the hangars is the wrong way to achieve, or better yet bending the hangars as much as the G3-R's is too much. Generalized evidence...the inward cone (at all center wheel settings)...an obvious display of where the most pressure is on your edge wheels, just not good in so many ways.

Discussion: First, the G3-Rs' have several improvements over the G3, BESIDES the bent hangar. The Tapered hangar, the larger unthreaded space on the spindles (allowing me to have wider edges)..the revisions to the base, which I haven't even experienced...so this opinion is only about the bent hangars, not the G3-R as a whole. This all raised the question for me, when bending the hangar, what was the intention....to get more rocker, or to change the contact of the edge wheels, or both? Changing the contact of the edge wheels, became bad once the hangars were bent so much that no matter where you put the center wheel, the inward side of the wheel is supporting the most pressure while riding/sliding. Especially when you consider that increases/shifts further inward when you have pressure on an edge, causing the hangar to flex upward on that side...loser hangars experience it more/or more easily.....if the (or if your goal is..) goal was only more rocker, which I do believe has benefits...I would bend the hangar less, or none, and focus on wheel sizes.

If you have been riding G3-Rs...try your old G3's again...feel and listen to the slide...SO buttery!. =) If you are a freestyle press pimp...set your bord on a table with your new G3-R setup...put your bord in a press and look from behind...I'm guessing your sitting on the center and the two inner edges of your edge wheels. Wouldn't you want to be sitting flat at least, or better yet on the otter edges? I know the greater rocker helps with the press angle, but the bent hangar takes away from your triangle width.

I have many more examples and opinions, but the one piece of evidence sticks out...the cone...for nearly 20 years FB edge wheels have (in general) been coning outward (even on the bent hangars of the Alphas)...coning inward is not a small (or imo a good) change.

I know preference wins over any silly flisms opinion...thus I invite the discussion, if you have made it through my ramble. This forum is missing a good debate on which is better Alphas or G3's...G3's or G3-R's.....

I hope to find a way to achieve both the wider hangar spindle and the larger rocker I had with the G3-R hangar, but on a G3 set up.

only points i might add, not having the R's:
    G3's casters are better then Alphas(stiffer mounting walls)
    alpha baseplates are a little more forgiving to themselves, steel bends, aluminium cracks.

After all this time, what are you all riding....G3, G3-R, Alphas? Someone recently suggested something that seems true....you like what you learned on. Im still on G3's.

G3 R's, brah! What else is there?!
    "Only hardcore people ride Freebords, baby."

alphas probably 4 ever ;)

Quote Originally Posted by flisms View Post
    you like what you learned on.
    true.

Quote Originally Posted by ahOi View Post
    alphas probably 4 ever ;)
    even more true.

When I started riding a little more than six years ago, anyone who was already riding prior to that time seemed die hard for Alphas. Though I feel like I've seen a lot of those die hards switch to G3s eventually.

I dabbled in Alphas in my first year of riding. The one thing I could not get over, and the thing that made me never want to ride Alphas is the non pressed in caster and the non individual center wheel slots. After having some G3 kingpins break on me, I decided that the strength of my set-up was number one priority. I know it hasnt been a problem for a lot of people, or some have work arounds...once I address the kingpins breaking, G3's just seemed stronger/built better than Alphas.. and of course, its what I learned on.

So none of ya'll ride G3-R's it sounds like. Would love to hear from someone that does. Is it the tapered hangar, is it the rocker, is it just what you learned on...Why G3-R's?

If I could have all the differences between the G3's and G3-Rs except the curved hanger...

Some good rereading!
    Looks like the flat earth proponents on the Rs
    i didnt read it mentioned, i tried em very briefly, thought Rs pushed better.
    I agree the g3s are buttery
    and totally what you're used to makes it