Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G3-R Review (multi part / ongoing)

G3-R Review (multi part / ongoing)

Since there i'snt one, i will do my best. Keep in mind I am only reviewing the hangars as i am riding G3-R hangars on G3 bases. The diff is in the caster bracket and the bushing cup/seat. (not sure what to call it) if there are any other differences please post.

Set up = my old cut down Alpha 112 deck, G3 bases, G3-R hangars, worn down red Mac O Boy centers, Greengos on stock bearings with wheel spacers...and since the G3-R hangars allow for it, I have 7 speed washers stacked behind each wheel for added edge width/support....SO allow this to be a review of the Greengos as well, since you don't see or hear much about them. Rocker is between one and two fingers. I have my center wheel dropped closer to deck) as low as it can, middle spot I think. Keep in mind my centers are worn down quite a bit....With new centers and placed all the way out, rocker is HUGE! I personally don't like too much rocker, but if you like max, then you need G3-R's....more rocker than you could/should ever need.

At a glance: Hangars look dope... glad they are machined to accept the 10 MM spacers, and thus allow me to stack speed washers....tapering towards the ends looks good, and obviously serves a purpose.

Day one: A whole new set-up so Im taking it slow, making bushing adjustments as needed. First thing I did was some pushing on flats to see how straight it pushes with the bent hangars...sure enough thing pushes straight like an arrow now....almost threw me off as I am used to drifting as I push, then correcting when I step on....now its on rails. Only took a few rides down the my block as there was at ton of traffic... The ride is still "stickY' for lack of better words as the wheels are not broken in, so i am sliding from heel to toe side as much as I can to speed up the break in. For now i cant make any judgements as it just feels new and different and not broken in. But no immediate complaints.

Day Two: I head to the steeper hill up the block to make sure the wheels are broken in before long...Greengos feel solid...much harder feel then the worn out, near the core blues I was just riding. Edges lack the give of worn out wheels. Slides for days on these just broken in Greengos. Maybe, and just maybe even too much slide, as I felt my back foot, toe edge getting away from me a few times, situations where I feel the blues would hold. But still acclimating. I assume it is the larger contact patch making the edges feel super solid...expecting some give when I hit a hard edge, instead i am greated with a solid feel. For now it still feel like a new set up I am getting used to...normally takes at least 5 or more rides before me and a new set up start meshing/getting along.

..Ill come back once that happens.

Day 3/4: Had a couple rides since my last...Day 3 was short...day 4 was a legit session in my hood. I must be getting used to my new set up as the ride felt good. The wheels (Greengos) are totally broken in and the bord feels comfy in general. Since this is my first time not riding da blues for a long time, Im struggling to attribute the differences in ride to the wheels or the hangars or both. I assume both are making some sort of difference... The wheels feel solid, a little less soft (for lack of better terms) then da blues...but they feel good. I mentioned my back foot edges feeling like they want to slide out a bit more than normal...the only way I can describe this is to look at FB rider, Naim....he has a very wide swing to his back foot edges...something about my current set up is making me feel like that is how I am riding. The Greengos are wearing flat, not coned, so far...typically by now I could see a slight coning to da blues on standard G3 hangars. Maybe it will be the lifespan of the Greengos that matters, but for now I say they feel great...in no hurry to replace them with da blues. I recommend them. Keeping it short, I have nothing bad to say about the G3-R hangars or the Greengos as of now. I was shredding as good as I know how to last night, without a second thought that my set up was new/different.

Days 5-9 or 10: Without testing the G3-R's with da blues I cannot give an apples to apples comparison, though I have come to some simple, and maybe insignificant conclusions. The ability to more efficiently push the bord straight on G3-R's is a plus... The solid feeling of the increased contact patch, thus less flex/slop in the wheels is a plus. Seeing the wheels are wearing all the way across the surface, rather than just the outer edge (coning) is interesting. Better? I don't know. IF they start coning inward, I'd say no, if they stay flat or have a slight cone outward, I say dope. But all together, and as always, it comes down to preference. The G3-R's feel good, I have zero bad things to say, however I cant say with any conviction that they ride better. They ride similar, and it is in each persons personal preferences that the differences can be noticed and/or quantified. While I cant say they ride better, I can say that in a few ways they are made better....the tapered hangar, the deeper bushing seat, the new caster bracket, all improvements on the G3...maybe not ones that will change your ride much, but improvements in the overall quality, and build of the pieces. IN short, G3-R's are dope, an great step forward by FB.

I will add a tid bit if I have it after riding da blues on some G3-R's.

I gave the set up to a friend, and now I am back on G3's and scrubbing down an old set of black slashers.

Please add your G3-R reviews if you have em.
    Last edited by flisms; 03-28-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Good review. I had heard the g3r hangers wouldn't fit the g3 base plate. Have you had to mod the bushings or seats etc? Please keep updating this thread as you continue to experiment with this set up.

The G3-R hangars do fit the G3 base plate. No mods to bushings....the G3-R bushing seat is just deeper, so less movement/slop from your bushings. The G3-R center wheel bracket is different than the G3, but does not hider the blending of the two.

Nice, honest review from you as always. Keep 'em coming!
    "Only hardcore people ride Freebords, baby."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by flisms View Post
    The G3-R hangars do fit the G3 base plate. No mods to bushings....the G3-R bushing seat is just deeper, so less movement/slop from your bushings. The G3-R center wheel bracket is different than the G3, but does not hider the blending of the two.
    This is the answer I was hoping for when I asked about it on Facebook. Cheers!

New phase of review. This time with blues and the unique to me addition of 8 speed washers behind each edge wheel, for an additional 3/4 inch to my total edge width. Disclaimer....the fine folks at freebord do not support this modification. =) The additional speed washers place my wheels far enough out to change the angles at which the wheels meet the ground and how the wheels wear, so again, my review is slightly tainted, but only slightly.

OK, so as stated before, Im just riding with G3-R hangars on G3 bases. Though it is my opinion that the riding qualities will be almost unnoticeably different, the bases are different and thus I cannot say this review is as precise as it could be....or at the very least, excludes mention of the differences between the bases.

So, with new blues and new FB centers there is a ton of rocker! At first i tried to limit the rocker by dropping the center wheel a notch, but this created a change i did not like. Because the G3-R hangars are bent, the pressure that is put on the edge wheels when riding, either straight or in a slide, is totally different than the G3's and because of that, the wheels both ride and wear quite differently. The lower your center wheel, the more pressure on the inner edge of your edge wheels, the greater the rocker, the further out that pressure goes, but it seems impossible to reach the same result you get with G3 hangars, which is normally with most pressure being on the outer edge of the wheel, resulting in outward coning. With G3-Rs, if you are not riding with the center all the way out, you will likely get inward coning. And likely even with the center all the way out. for now my wheels are wearing near even all the way across, though if anything at all there is a slight inward cone.

You will notice honking as your wheels break in, but for me that went away once i had actually worn through a few mm of the wheel. This is mostly because of the large contact patch and square edged blues. Greengos for example are less likely to honk given the curved inner edge.

I could drag on....but to some it up for now....it took awhile to get used to them, but I have grown to really like the G3-R hangars. The large contact patch of the wheels, along with my stacked speed washers gives me a ton of edge support. Feels like I can hold an edge in a straight line a bit longer. The even contact patch, assuming you don't cone in or out very much, is mechanically healthier for the bearings, and without sparking the free spin topic, you can tell by how your wheels spin/sound.

I will conclude by saying that you will struggle if you do not like a lot of rocker, as G3-Rs achieve their best performance for all components when you have the center wheel out for big rocker. Someday i will get the G3-R bases and include that in this review.

Further conclusions ... with the reminder that my set up is frankenstein like, in that my base plates are G3, hangars G3-R, the whole 8 speed washers thing....and of course mounted to an old alpha 112 (now about 90 cm) deck.. nothing about my bord is what would be provided new from FB.

All of these things are my opinion/preference...
    for the first half of this set of da blues they wore almost perfectly straight, I liked it...it rode well when the centers were dropped to lowest notch (full rocker). And though it is not recommended by FB...the stacked speed washers have given me noticeable and useful extra edge support/balance....together with the wide contact patch of the flat wear on the edge wheels, it felt good... other than the added wheel honking of that flat contact patch. I also enjoy the straight push of the G3-R hangar.

Half way through the wheel and the inward coning is becoming more obvious...the honking a bit louder and more frequent, especially if I am on ultra smooth pavement, or not hitting the edges hard. I am not fond of the inward coning. The curved G3-R hangar will not allow for anything but inward coning only minimized by starting your center wheels on the outer/lowest notch. I would love to hear an opposing argument, but it seems like simple logic that when sliding on an edge you want more of the weight being carried by the outer edge of the wheel, even if that focal point of pressure is just a hair closer to the outer side, rather than the inner side of the edge wheels. How you ride the hangars (loose or tight) will also play a role here, with tighter hangers keeping the pressure closer to the outer side/edge of your edge wheels. ( I think i said this above) Its like dragging anything across the floor, you always take some pressure off the leading edge of what is being dragged. (by lifting normally)

I intend to go back on G3 hangars with a fresh set of blues for awhile... I think this will give me the best contrast and basis for a final preference now that I have taken the time to get used to the G3-R hangars. My suggestions would be....slightly less bend to the G3-R hangars. (too late I know) ... round the inner edge of da blues, or have that option....G3 hangars with the same spindle as the G3-R, then i don't have to stack washers. =)

Mums the word? Is all the talk about it on Facebook? ... or just no talk...Im surprised by the lack of public opinion about the now not new G3-R's. 4-5 years ago everyone was begging for the return of the alphas/bent hangars....it seemed to be a prime topic in the FB world. Some even claimed they would stop freebording because of it. (D.P.!!) Did you all get what you wanted from the G3-R? Anyone!?

Further conclusions ... with the reminder that my set up is frankenstein like, in that my base plates are G3, hangars G3-R, the whole 8 speed washers thing....and of course mounted to an old alpha 112 (now about 90 cm) deck.. nothing about my bord is what would be provided new from FB.

All of these things are my opinion/preference...
    for the first half of this set of da blues they wore almost perfectly straight, I liked it...it rode well when the centers were dropped to lowest notch (full rocker). And though it is not recommended by FB...the stacked speed washers have given me noticeable and useful extra edge support/balance....together with the wide contact patch of the flat wear on the edge wheels, it felt good... other than the added wheel honking of that flat contact patch. I also enjoy the straight push of the G3-R hangar.

Half way through the wheel and the inward coning is becoming more obvious...the honking a bit louder and more frequent, especially if I am on ultra smooth pavement, or not hitting the edges hard. I am not fond of the inward coning. The curved G3-R hangar will not allow for anything but inward coning only minimized by starting your center wheels on the outer/lowest notch. I would love to hear an opposing argument, but it seems like simple logic that when sliding on an edge you want more of the weight being carried by the outer edge of the wheel, even if that focal point of pressure is just a hair closer to the outer side, rather than the inner side of the edge wheels. How you ride the hangars (loose or tight) will also play a role here, with tighter hangers keeping the pressure closer to the outer side/edge of your edge wheels. ( I think i said this above) Its like dragging anything across the floor, you always take some pressure off the leading edge of what is being dragged. (by lifting normally)

I intend to go back on G3 hangars with a fresh set of blues for awhile... I think this will give me the best contrast and basis for a final preference now that I have taken the time to get used to the G3-R hangars. My suggestions would be....slightly less bend to the G3-R hangars. (too late I know) ... round the inner edge of da blues, or have that option....G3 hangars with the same spindle as the G3-R, then i don't have to stack washers. =)

Mums the word? Is all the talk about it on Facebook? ... or just no talk...Im surprised by the lack of public opinion about the now not new G3-R's. 4-5 years ago everyone was begging for the return of the alphas/bent hangars....it seemed to be a prime topic in the FB world. Some even claimed they would stop freebording because of it. (D.P.!!) Did you all get what you wanted from the G3-R? Anyone!?
    I love the G3r. I think the added rocker outweighs the other minor problems for me. My only big issue with them is with the castor. No matter what I do, I keep having castors break completely out of the base plate.

Awesome! A response! Thanks Luke. I reread my last post and I think it sounds like I don't like the G3-R. That is far from the truth...I like the G3-R (Hangar) , in fact I like it a lot, but I think it has done what each iteration of bases/hangars has done...made baby steps. Which is what it is all about.. And with individual preference being key, there is no such thing as perfect, or the best. For me, the added width I get with stacked speed washers outweighs my dislike for the inward cone and honking, thus making the G3-R more desirable than the G3s...I expect that I will stick with the G3-R after revisiting the G3 hangar, but want to do the long term testing to be sure. I bet by the time Im done geeking on this, there will be another advancement in FB.

Another thought and observation i wanted to add.. If you keep the center wheel set for full rocker...it seems the flat wear/wide contact patch enables da blues to last a bit longer. (?) A plus.

Also, the huge rocker was uncomfortable for me at first, but now I don't notice it, and feel like I could probably handle a bit more rocker if it served to enhance any other part of the ride.

Above all else I want to praise FB for making advancements at all, and being the dopest thing to ever find the bottom of my feet.

Awesome! A response! Thanks Luke. I reread my last post and I think it sounds like I don't like the G3-R. That is far from the truth...I like the G3-R (Hangar) , in fact I like it a lot, but I think it has done what each iteration of bases/hangars has done...made baby steps. Which is what it is all about.. And with individual preference being key, there is no such thing as perfect, or the best. For me, the added width I get with stacked speed washers outweighs my dislike for the inward cone and honking, thus making the G3-R more desirable than the G3s...I expect that I will stick with the G3-R after revisiting the G3 hangar, but want to do the long term testing to be sure. I bet by the time Im done geeking on this, there will be another advancement in FB.

Another thought and observation i wanted to add.. If you keep the center wheel set for full rocker...it seems the flat wear/wide contact patch enables da blues to last a bit longer. (?) A plus.

Also, the huge rocker was uncomfortable for me at first, but now I don't notice it, and feel like I could probably handle a bit more rocker if it served to enhance any other part of the ride.

Above all else I want to praise FB for making advancements at all, and being the dopest thing to ever find the bottom of my feet.
    Have you seen the otherbord prototype set up? what they are doing is really interesting. They seem to be making LEAPS in advancing the freebord truck