Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using Freebord for Snowboard training

Hi Hyperize,

Looks like you get the hang of it, and have determination ! And yeah everybody have to pass throught this you def not alone , hopefully freeborders are often very happy to share their experience (and it's great , we all have a different one ) :) (I think it's because we are a minority ^^few people ride ,and freebord is not really a mass known riding product, so we can't really talk a lot about our passion in daily life !)

About your first post, from my experience:

1/when I start freebording i have 10 weeks of snowbarding (1 weeks per year during 10 years) and I only ride regular (don't even think about taking the time to learn goofy, one week is too damn short ^^)

So when I buy my freebord I decide to make the test and i learn to ride goofy (after take 1/2 good week to make the link with my snowboard level, when it comes it's like a "click " in your brain ) because i have no lift ticket to buy ,i can have a training on a 1% steep/no cars spot behind my suburban house.
    I was so happy when i go back on the snowboard and realize it was even more easy !

If think the reason is when you want to go straight on your snowboard you have the totality of the deck in contact with the ground, but in freebord you just have the Two center wheel. It's kind of the same balance skillz but way more precision is needed on the freebord, so i think that's why its easier for a freeborder to learn snowboard , than for a snowboarder to learn freebord (at least at the beginning ).

2/ about size of the i'm also 1,75cm and i start with a 83cm, now i'm on a 85cm;

Good luck and be carefull to you elbow (just know is not a bad thing to be forced by an injury to learn with caution , that will give you safe reflex !)
    Last edited by Nace; 10-13-2016 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nace View Post
    Hi Hyperize,

Looks like you get the hang of it, and have determination ! And yeah everybody have to pass throught this you def not alone , hopefully freeborders are often very happy to share their experience (and it's great , we all have a different one ) :) (I think it's because we are a minority ^^few people ride ,and freebord is not really a mass known riding product, so we can't really talk a lot about our passion in daily life !)

About your first post, from my experience:

1/when I start freebording i have 10 weeks of snowbarding (1 weeks per year during 10 years) and I only ride regular (don't even think about taking the time to learn goofy, one week is too damn short ^^)

So when I buy my freebord I decide to make the test and i learn to ride goofy (after take 1/2 good week to make the link with my snowboard level, when it comes it's like a "click " in your brain ) because i have no lift ticket to buy ,i can have a training on a 1% steep/no cars spot behind my suburban house.
    I was so happy when i go back on the snowboard and realize it was even more easy !

If think the reason is when you want to go straight on your snowboard you have the totality of the deck in contact with the ground, but in freebord you just have the Two center wheel. It's kind of the same balance skillz but way more precision is needed on the freebord, so i think that's why its easier for a freeborder to learn snowboard , than for a snowboarder to learn freebord (at least at the beginning ).

2/ about size of the i'm also 1,75cm and i start with a 83cm, now i'm on a 85cm;

Good luck and be carefull to you elbow (just know is not a bad thing to be forced by an injury to learn with caution , that will give you safe reflex !)

Hi Hyperize,

You are getting some great advice. This guy is an incredible rider:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnNR...68965517241374

Thanks guys :)

I've been to the physio and have my elbow taped up now, so haven't ridden outside since last week, but I have been getting on my bord at home every day whenever I have a spare second and practise the weighting, kicking my back foot out on both edges, then trying it on the switch side. Should be able to get out this weekend at some point and put my practise into test!

I have just one question when initiating slides, what is your back foot doing weight wise? E.g. if on your toe edge, does your back foot actually press down slightly at the heel to initiate the slide, or is it just at high enough speeds it will just slide out with minimal effort?

You should have little enough weight on both toes so that the bord wants to drift naturally(I personally think drift is a more accurate word to use than slide). Try only using your edges for balance, rather than putting too much weight on them. I used to really commit to my edges, but found that practicing having my weight mostly over my centre wheels changed the game completely. Now I only lean heavily on my edges to carve deeply or to stop. The more weight you have on your uphill edge wheels, the harder it will be to 'slide'.

Thanks switch up !, I think we all have our own way of learning so every advices can be good to help us making our own cooking learning pack :)

Totally agree with Nomad Gee advice and the drift/slide focusing, the specificity of this board on my opinion is also the fact you don't need speed or force to put the bord obliquely (center wheels don't slide, they just rotate ) .

Here's a video with a lot of different riders style about that.
    https://vimeo.com/18431877

so i think that's why its easier for a freeborder to learn snowboard , than for a snowboarder to learn freebord
    totally, its like the dumb joke,
    "how many snowboarders does it take to screw in a lightbulb?, 10, 1 to do it, 9 to say "yea i can do that," then he pulls out a freebord :)"
    how many freeborders does it take? 2, 1 to do it, the other to tell him how sweet his turns were

I used to really commit to my edges, but found that practicing having my weight mostly over my centre wheels changed the game completely
    yea, dream of being on marty mcflys hoverboard and floating on the center point of the deck, then scratching the pavement to turn
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

I took the Bord out yesterday for about 20 minutes the first time in a week, was going to try and wait out my elbow injury but just can't resist! I felt much more comfortable on it just standing and switching edges, but still issues getting it to drift/slide. From all the video's I've watched, it looks like there's no effort at all to get it to drift. I'm guessing it will get like this once you hit that weighting sweet spot between the edge and centre wheels?

I can see why people give up after a week, but I'm determined to crack this thing. It's going to take me a long time, but I will get there! I was watching a video and the guy said something like "the feeling you get going down a hill in complete control is like meditation". That's exactly my feeling when I'm snowboarding, and can't wait to get that feeling all year round!

hope its going well, ie: stayed upright:)
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

Forums are back hooray! So I've been super busy last couple of months and was only able to ride maybe once a week so didn't really progress at all, but over the last week I've made an effort to ride more, and am happy to report I can toe slide to a stop!

What really helped me was visualising the board sliding out laterally, then moving my body and legs as if it were expecting the board to drift out and what do you know the board did it =) just like snowboarding though I feel really comfortable on my toe side but not heelside. Might take me another month or two to get heelside, then hopefully I can link it all together so I can do a full run without stopping. I've got 5 months until snow season and can't wait, I can already feel my balance has improved alot by riding the bord.

Sweeeet, yea that visualization part is tough but it worked out!! Big turn in the learning curve, over. Now, unfortunately, is strong ankles/balance to avoid catching edge on slide part :/. But sweeeeeeeet, yea snowboardin will be a breeze