Thread: Techniques for self filming

Techniques for self filming

Hi there,

I'm starting to make my first self filming movies - no one who can do it, so I do it myself ;-)... I was wondering about techniques. Best angle. Where to point to stick, down, up. How to take the shots, normal (camera above the stick) or inverted (camera under the stick, with recording ). Holding stick in the front, back or side.

Can't find much information about this. Two days ago I gave my first try:
    https://youtu.be/cl7BfnsbzPs

In the video I'm pointing the stick down with the camera under the stick (inverting the video). I'm mostly regular and found easier to hold the stick with the right hand, so I'm taking most of the shots from the side. Still learning, so I found quite tricky to use the selfstick and keep good balance.

Any good advice or link to video examples where the rider is filming him/herself?

Thanks,

Fran

badass riding dude!

one thing i wish i did more when i look at clips i shot w/ the stick/cam in a similar setup, is circling it around you as you ride, switching to left arm, bringing it around slowly, kinda "drone" follow style as you ride back to front, hell maybe even over head and to the back, just a whole bunch of angles ya know

i used a shorter stick/steeper angle on the stick so it kinda stayed out of shot, and really put it as close to the ground as possible for max speed sensation, granted you dont see the face of the filmer. i really wished i circled around to get different angles
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

This video by David Bickett is probably my favorite self filmed video.

Hi guys, thanks for the info...

@skiskask8, you say badass riding?, have you seen yourself?, I mean, how can you ride in so much dirt? . Never saw that before. That's hardcore man.

@Luke_slo, that's a great video example for me. Great angle. Quite close to the road and the bord. Like @skiskas8 mentioned, amplifies the speed sensation.

I'm not interested in having my face in the video. Very much interested in the movements of my body. By watching myself I've discovered mistakes I make, and how I can correct them. For example, something I realized is that when I ride regular (I am regular) I put my weight on the front food, but when I ride goofy, I can see I'm shifting my weight more to the back. Also how I move my torso, hips, legs bending, etc... and that's great info to improve the riding.

Thanks again,

Fran
    Last edited by jscriptcoder; 08-24-2016 at 11:01 PM.

This was one of the first videos I watched when i started 5 years ago. Loved the riding, the song and the self filming. Caleb Killed it with this one IMO.

Got the video embedded finally...THANKS COREY!

fran man, Im jealous of your overslides into corners and comfort switch riding! thats the style!!!
    i can bomb hills, but even after decade+ i cant....won't go switch, total noob with the "wrong foot"
    Ratchets are my hands Stromae is my jam, the Mussels from Brussels.

you did a very good progression since we meet last time